by mikebell on 18 July, 2019
Local businesses, town councils, residents and developers in North Somerset are being invited to give their views on proposed improvement works to Station Road, Walliscote Road, Alexandra Parade and Regent Street in Weston-super-Mare town centre as part of a consultation process.
The project is being funded by a £4.45m grant from the Department for Transport and Local Growth Fund for public realm, highways and transport improvements to Station Road, Walliscote Road and Alexandra Parade. A further £850,000 from the same sources has also been awarded for similar works in Regent Street.
The current proposals under consultation include:
• a more attractive entrance to the town with improved landscaping and the planting of over 22 new trees
• offering simpler access for pedestrians
• alterations to the road layout of Alexandra Parade and Walliscote Road to reduce the volume of traffic in the town centre
• enhancing cycling and pedestrian links across the town centre
• bringing scattered town centre bus stops into one location on Regent Street, making the use of public transport easier
• reducing the impact of lorries in the daytime, introducing loading access to a new pedestrian zone on Regent Street between 6pm and 10am, with loading bays on the outskirts of the pedestrian zone available at all times of the day
Councillor Mark Canniford, Executive Member for Business, Economy and Employment at North Somerset Council, said: “We want to hear from residents and businesses on these proposals. We’ve been speaking to local businesses and so far, the feedback is very encouraging. Our aim is to enhance the arrival experience for visitors entering the town centre, improve pedestrian and cycle facilities and bring together many of the town centre’s bus stops in a coordinated interchange. I’ll be meeting residents and businesses and look forward to integrating people’s views into these proposals.”
As part of the town centre regeneration programme, North Somerset Council will combine Alexandra Parade, Station Road and Regent Street improvements and deliver them together to achieve economies of scale.
The regeneration of Weston-super-Mare has seen significant investment into the town centre over the last ten years, creating a vibrant and diverse town focused around living, learning and lifestyle. The council will continue to deliver improvements to key development sites, positively encourage investment and attract more people to live in the town centre, creating an improved local economy that is also sensitive and supportive of our vibrant heritage.
Alexandra Parade, Station Road and Walliscote Road works will be funded by the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership through the Local Growth Fund, administered by the West of England Combined Authority.
Local Enterprise Partnerships are playing a vital role in driving forward economic growth. By 2021 the Government will have invested over £12bn through the Local Growth Fund.
For more information on the scheme, or to take the opportunity to feedback on the proposals, email: Weston.email@example.comLeave a comment