Weston Focus

News for Weston-super-Mare Central Ward from local councillors Mike Bell and Robert Payne : serving you on North Somerset Council and Weston-super-Mare Town Council Learn more

Read more on this

View more tweets

Read more on this

View more tweets

Help with your Council Tax

by mikebell on 1 April, 2020

North Somerset Council is offering help to any residents having difficulty paying their Council Tax during the coronavirus crisis.

Anyone having problems paying should contact the council to discuss either a payment holiday or reduced payment arrangement, or be directed to other welfare assistance.

Where possible they should use the ‘contact us’ form on the council’s website at: https://forms.liberata.com/revenues-and-benefits/contact-us/north-somerset.

Anyone without access to the internet can telephone 01934 888 144. However, due to the high level of calls currently being experienced, you may be in a queue to speak to an adviser.

“We are keen to ensure that people who need financial assistance during the coming months are not worrying about their Council Tax payments,” said Cllr Ash Cartman, the council’s executive member for finance. “If you are struggling to pay contact us and we will do all we can to help.”

Council Tax bills have been issued and reminder notices and text prompts will continue as normal, but the council will not be carrying out any further recovery action over the coming months. There will be no summons issued for non-payment and no enforcement action by bailiffs for anyone currently in arrears.

“We would ask all those who are able to continue to pay their monthly instalments to do so,” said Cllr Cartman. “Council Tax provides a significant proportion of the council’s revenue and enables us to run important local services, many of which are under pressure during this difficult time.”

For those working age customers already in receipt of a Council Tax support discount, this discount will be increased by a further £150 for this year. This will automatically be applied to their account and they will receive a new council tax bill.

Anyone considering claiming Universal Credit either due to loss of income as a result of a reduction in hours or loss of a job, or as self-employed, should advise the Department for Work and Pensions that you also wish to claim Council Tax support. Your details will automatically be passed to the council to start your Council Tax support claim.

You can find more about the Council Tax support scheme on the council’s website at https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/benefits-and-support/council-tax-support/.

   Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>